TAIKO SUMMER SCHOOL
YOUR GUIDE TO BOOKING A PLACE ON OUR ANNUAL TAIKO SUMMER SCHOOL INTENSIVE FOR ADULTS
TAIKO SUMMER SCHOOL 2021
2nd-5th August 2021, Garner's Field hall, Tilford nr. Farnham, Surrey GU10 2BH
“FLOW AND CONTROL” : Katsugi (slung over the shoulder) and Shime Daiko styles
***For experienced players, improvers or brave beginners!!!***
We are very pleased to announce that our 13th International Taiko Summer School will take place in the midst of the Surrey Hills in Tilford, near Farnham, Surrey. This intensive four-day course is for both experienced players AND anyone who has attended any Taiko courses or workshops in the past. We will also take brave beginners! The aims of the course will be to:
- PRACTICE: reinforce basic Taiko technique
- STRENGTHEN: exercise to help your playing and overall fitness
- “BE THE RHYTHM”: increase fluency with the relationship between music and movement
- PERFORM: work towards a public performance on the penultimate night of the course
This year, we are continuing the theme of 2019’s FLOW and CONTROL with the dynamic and fun katsugi style. using some of the techniques learned from our great friends in Kodo and Mark’s teachers Tennon Daiko in Wakayama-ken, Japan.
Alongside this we’ll be teaching some techniques on shimedaiko which will increase your control and accuracy, enabling you to play, loud or quiet, with focus and intent – essential for your musical expression.
You’ll also get fit, analyse your performance on video, and have a great opportunity to perform in a public concert with Taiko Meantime!
See photos from 2010, photos from 2011, photos from 2012, photos from 2013, photos from 2014, photos from 2015, photos from 2016, photos from 2017, photos from 2018.
This year, your tutors will be Mark and Jack from Taiko Meantime. Both have great skills in performing and teaching and really look forward to welcome you!
What you’ll need:
- – Running shoes: for those who are able, we’ll be doing some gentle running in the mornings to warm up;
- – Sports clothing appropriate for Taiko (tabi boots are good but not essential);
- – Your own earplugs (if you need them);
- – Meals (sorry – no onsite catering available)
- – Local accommodation or a tent (onsite camping is available @£15/night – please let us know how many nights you’d like after booking the course, and pay on arrival)
- – Bags of energy!
- We’ll start each day with some gentle running and stretching;
- Taiko stance and basic form for Katsugi;
- Ji-Uchi (base-rhythm) technique;
- Movement and an understanding of the relationship between rhythm and movement;
- Solo technique;
- Bring a piece alive with performance skills;
- Watching own performance with use of video;
- Shimedaiko control and technique
Maximum 12 places.
Typical course structure:
- Day 1: 10:30 – 17:00 Katsugi technique basics, application of technique into rhythms;
- Day 2: 09:30 – 17:00 Shime introduction; more Katsugi rhythms and construction of a performance piece;
- Day 3: 09:30 – 17:00 Video review, performance piece practice. Possibility of evening performance to local guests.
- Day 4: 10:30 – 16:00 A day reviewing the performance and the week’s learnings, and touching on other styles.
What previous Summer School participants have said:
“Amazingly calm, patient & inspirational tuition, with great demonstrations & words of encouragement that enabled me to understand more about how to achieve the desired result.”
“Your persistence on speed, precision and playing as a team helped us to improve our skills.”
“FAULTLESS tuition. Mark, you have the patience of a saint.”
“The venue and facilities were superb and so was the food.”
“It was EXCELLENT value for money!”
“You modelled excellent technique and were always friendly and helpful. It’s not easy to create an environment in which it is possible for people to safely fail while they try things, and I think you did.”
BOOKING via Paypal
(NB you don't need a Paypal account!)
Buy places on the Taiko Summer School 2021. 245 GBP.
Please enter the names, corresponding email addresses and mobile numbers of all participants who you are booking for. Then press the "Add to Cart" button next to each name ONCE.