BECOME A MEMBER OF TAIKO MEANTIME'S PERFORMANCE GROUP
BECOME A TAIKO MEANTIME MEMBER
Taiko Meantime is looking for a few special people. To be a performer in Taiko Meantime requires single-minded determination, lots of your time and self motivation. As well as drummers, we need talented flute players, or better still, players of the Japanese ‘yoko-bue’. Have a good look at this important list of questions below to get a feel for whether Taiko Meantime is right for you.
- Can you make Wednesday evening every week in South London from roughly 19:00 to 22:30 to practise?
- Are you willing to load and unload drums at very unsociable hours?
- Can you take occasional time off work, if necessary, to do performances on weekdays and weekends?
- Are you organised and dedicated enough to commit to and stick to performance dates months (and sometimes over a year in the case of theatrical performances) in advance?
- Do you have internet and email access at least once a day?
- Is your aim to perform a high standard of Taiko with a professional-standard group?
- Is developing and improving as a musician and a performer at the forefront of your priorities?
- Are you a strong individual, but happy to work in a team, on and off stage?
- Have you got the discipline, time and initiative to practise by yourself between group rehearsals?
- Do you pay attention to detail – musical and physical?
- Are you a reliable and clear communicator?
- Can you take constructive criticism without feeling insulted?
- Are you able to think on your feet in a musical environment with changing circumstances and maintain a cool head under pressure?
- Do you get satisfaction from giving 100% to the task in hand?
- If you’ve learnt Taiko or any percussion before, can you put aside your own style to fit in with the style of Taiko Meantime?
- Group rehearsals are NOT Taiko classes. So, are you good at learning by example?
- Are you ahead of the game in a learning situation rather than waiting to be taught?
- Do you have a ‘the show must go on’ attitude?
YOUR MUSICAL ABILITY
- Are you passionate about music?
- Are you critical of music, and do you know good players when you see or hear them?
- Have you got a natural sense of rhythm?
- Can you count?
- Do you know the meaning of the questions, “Can you count?” and “Where’s the 1?”?!
- Do you understand the basics of music theory?
- Are you adept at learning and remembering rhythms and music?
- Are you musically able enough to deal with last minute changes to rhythm/song arrangements?
- Does the idea of musical spontaneity in a live concert situation excite you?!
- Do you have a good knowledge of the UK taiko scene?
- Do you play a musical instrument or have experience of a martial art?
- Have you given a stage performance of any kind?
- Do you consider yourself to be a performer?
- Do you have an interest in Japan and Japanese music?
- Are you physically fit and have general year-round good physical health?
- Is fitness a way of life for you?